Historical Overview

 

A key position – from the beginning until today

The special-purpose rubber – which was first marketed under the trade name Perbunan® C and changed its name to Baypren® in 1968 – has occupied a key position on the world rubber market ever since with its wide range of applications. Although Baypren® was initially manufactured in Leverkusen, production was gradually relocated in the early sixties to another Bayer site in  Germany, namely Dormagen. In 1975, Bayer began chloroprene rubber production using a modern system based on its own raw materials when a large-scale plant was built at the Dormagen site to manufacture chloroprene monomer.


The latest major step in the history of chloroprene rubber took place when the Baypren® rubber activities were transferred to LANXESS AG.

 

The history of Baypren®

  • 1957 - Bayer begins the first European production of CR in Leverkusen, Germany under the trade name Perbunan® C (solid rubber, adhesive grades, latex)
  • 1960 - Gradual relocation of production to Dormagen, Germany
  • 1968 - CR renamed Baypren®
  • 1975 - Establishment of Bayer's own supply of monomer at Dormagen
  • 2005 -  Transfer to LANXESS AG

 

Production with state-of-the-art PCS

The CR plant in Dormagen produces polychloroprene by the continuous emulsion polymerization process. This results in high-quality polymers for technical rubber, adhesive and latex applications. The monomers are produced on site by LANXESS based on the butadiene gas phase process, with the chlorine and butadiene delivered by pipeline from on-site suppliers. Several investments have been made recently to increase capacity and improve the quality and safety of the production plant in Dormagen. In 2013 we will implement a new finishing technology, which again will improve the product quality, and at the same time enables us to manufactures new Baypren® grades. This product inhancement will be realized to some grades of our Baypren® portfolio.